our cooking originates from a South Indian town called Udupi.
Most recipes tend to be sweetened with some jaggery. However sweetness is entirely optional..;)
Hasi-beesi literally refers to ingredients ground raw.
Recipe serves 2
Radish – 4 medium sliced round (like potatoes for chips)
Onion – 2 large sliced long
Salt – to taste
Coconut – 1/4th cup
Onion – 2 large
Coriander seeds – 2 table spoons
Red chillies – 4-6
Tamarind- the size of a small lemon
Udad dal – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1/4th teaspoon
Red chillies – few
Curry leaves – handful
1. Grind the above ingredients to a course paste. With fresh coconut you may not need any water. If required, add very little.
2. Start cooking with tempering udad dal, mustard seeds,red chillies, curry leaves in oil.
3. Add sliced onion, fry unhook lightly brown
4. Add radish, fry lightly and cook covered for about 5minutes. Its best to cook it lightly till the radish is still crunchy.
5. Add ground mix and salt
6. Adding jaggery at this point is optional.
7. Cover and cook a little longer tossing the preparation a couple of times.
I bet you would be eager to try some by now…:-)